Since this is a disease that occurs when the crop cycle is already in an advanced state, often, their effects are confused with signs of maturation. Note that the Alternariosis is favored by periods of wetting and drying and also by temperatures above 20 ° C.
This fungus has spread throughout the world, and, in ancient times, he was given little importance, since their symptoms were associated with the senescence of the plant and therefore was not considered as a disease. Currently, if the damage is known to produce and, therefore, is given importance.
What are the symptoms of Alternariosis?
- Alternariosis symptoms on leaves: usually produces spots Concentric brownish affecting older leaves. Also, if conditions are favorable, these spots achieve expand throughout the plant. Injuries rarely leaves have circular shapes because major nerve areas restrict them. In the vast majority of cases, these spots appear around flowering and increases as plants mature, reaching the point of joining and generate a considerable deterioration that eventually kills them.
- Alternaria symptoms in tubers: generates dark surface lesions that sink irregularly, and have edges tan, slightly raised. Although not rot the tuber, they do manage impair their appearance.
- Development of the disease: fungi that produce Alternariosis may survive in the stubble of crops that have been parasitized by these, as chlamydospores and seeds. The development of Negrón is linked to high humidity and temperatures ranging to 25 ° C. Storms and sprinkler irrigation conducive morning sickness.
How to prevent this disease?
Like the vast majority of fungal diseases, the best way to prevent its devastating effects is prevention. Why, then, I propose the following measures to ensure that sconces.
- Remove all plant debris after harvesting crops, especially in those individuals who already show symptoms of Alternaria.
- Use seed tubers that are certified to ensure their good health.
- Let the tubers ripen correctly before starting a collection to avoid damage during harvest.
- Make crop rotation, maintaining healthy vegetation to bring you all the nutrients needed by the crop.
Plants that are not well fed will be most prone to attack by Alternaria. Procedures should be regularly done every 10 or 15 days with fungicides such as maneb, zineb, mancozeb, benzimidazoles, and so on. The best treatment for preventing Alternariosis copper oxychloride is applied every 15 days.
Control the tomato plant
Although there are some much more tolerant than other varieties, there is currently no range capable of having an acceptable genetic resistance. Therefore, the most effective method is the use of preventive fungicides, being the best Captan, Chlorothalonil, and the Mancozeb Strobilurin, and the current applied.
Inspects growing at least twice a week, and if you use spray, you will have to water the plants early to achieve aerate properly. Use healthy seeds; it increases organic matter and does not forget to control nematodes.